Counseling 16: Crisis Intervention
Instructor: Sahar Awad, M.D.
Students will explore definitions, theories, and practice of crisis intervention as it is practiced in Church-based systems and networks.
Grief, illness, accidents, violent death, and related crises will be examined. Students will look at theological frameworks for doing this
kind of ministry, and develop integrative syntheses for themselves. The class will examine the role of culture, race, and ethnicity in
crisis intervention. Students, for example, will understand the unique stressors recent immigrants confront. In addition, students will
become familiar with the role of culture, ethnicity, and race in issues of depression, schizophrenia, violence, and illness and death
By the end of the course, the students will be able to:
1. formulate a theological framework for the role of the Christian counselor in crisis intervention.
2. Identify major pastoral developmental and situational crises encountered in the Church and its community.
3. Select and properly use assessment and intervention tools for effective intervention of these crises.
4. To be familiar with the psychological and physiological reactions to a critical incident.
5. Recognize the “crisis of faith” when Church members encounter crises, and to minister to them.
6. Formulate plans for crisis intervention in the Church.
7. Understand principles of Critical Incident Stress Management and its relationship to crisis intervention in the Church.
The New Guide to Crisis & Trauma Counseling, By Wright, Norman H Ventura, CA: Regal Books, 2003. ISBN #13:978-0-8307-32418
POCKET GUIDE TO CRISIS INTERVENTION, BY ALBERT R. ROBERT AND KENNETH R. YEAGER. ISBN # 978-0-19-538290-7
On-Site Lesson Schedule:
Introduction, what is a theory, Crisis Intervention Theory, and Crisis Intervention Model.
Distance Learning Lesson Schedule:
Week 1&2: Theological perspective of crisis. Reading: Chapter 1,2& conclusion. Test 1
Week 3&4: Nature and phases of crises. Reading : Chapters 7,8 & 9. Test 2
Week 5&6: Recovery from loss and grieving. Reading: Chapters 4,5 & 6. Test 3
Week 7&8: Children, loss to grief Reading: 16,17&18 Test 4
Week 9&10: Adolescents and trauma Reading: 11,19&20 Test 5
Week 11&12: Suicide and deaths Reading:13,14&15 Test 6
|Grading Scale:||Test Schedule||Percentage of course grade|
|Test 1- Test 6