Counseling 6: Abnormal Psychology – DSM-V
Instructor: Ihab Istafanous, M.D Psychiatrist
E-mail: email@example.com & Cell:210-334-7477
1-STUDY THE DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA OF DSM-1V OF PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS,
2-DEVELOP THE ABILITY FOR THE DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS . THE STUDENTS WILL BE PROVIDED BY CLINICAL CASES IN WEEKLY BASIS .
3- OVERVIEW ON TREATMENT PLAN FOR EACH DISORDER, ANXIETY D/O, MOOD D/O EATING D/O, AND PERSONALITY D/O
AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE COURSE STUDENT WILL BE ABLE TO DIAGNOSE THE PATHOLOGICAL BEHAVIOR USING DSM1V-TR
Please consult with counselor prior to purchasing books for this course.
1-SYNOPSIS OF PSYCHIATRY BY KAPLAN AND SADOCK
2- QUICK REFERENCE TO THE DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FROM DSM-1V-TR PUBLISHED BY THE AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION
3-DSM-1V-TR CASEBOOK PUBLISHED BY AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION PART 1.
- Attend on-site lectures.
- Each week you will be provided by study clinical cases for
discussion in each topic to enhance your understanding for each disorder.
- Each Friday you will be provided by quizzes. The answer should turned by following Friday
- The average of the 12 week quizzes plus final exam will be the grade for the course.
- It is an option not an obligation to turn in a paper in any of the psychiatric d/o we study in course to improve your grade.
- A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-80% ( only gets certificate of attendance)
ON –SITE LEARNING
The instructor will provide an overview of mood d/o anxiety d/o, personality d/o and eating d/o.
The instructor will provide quick overview on treatment plan for each disorder.
The instructor will meet with each student individually to understand their different ability of learning.
DISTANCE LEARNING SCHEDULE
TOPIC: MAJOR DEPRESSIVE D/O;
READING :PAGES: 534-544 Read prior to onsite meeting.
SYNOPSIS KAPLAN AND SADOCK
TOPIC: BIPOLAR D/O
READING PAGES; 544-672
TOPIC: PANIC D/O
READING PAGES; 599-609
TOPIC SOCIAL PHOBIA
READING PAGES; 609-615
TOPIC OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE D/O
READING PAGES; 616-622
TOPIC ; POST TRAUMATIC D/O
READING PAGES 623-631
WEEK 7 :
TOPIC; GENERALIZED ANXIETY D/O
READING PAGES 632-635
TOPIC; SOMATOFORM D/O
READING PAGES 643-661
TOPIC; EATING D/O
READING PAGES 739-755
TOPIC; GENDER IDENTITY D/O
Reading pages 730-733
TOPIC PERSONALITY D/O
1 READING PAGES 803-812
TOPIC PERSONALITY D/O
2 READING PAGES 812-821
FINAL EXAM AND GRADING.
DSM V-Part 2
Instructor: Dr. Ihab Istafanous, M.D. Psychiatrist
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org & Cell 210-334-7477
A study of behavioral and psychological deviation from the norm with special attention to schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders, neurodevelopmental disorders, trauma and stressor-related disorders, dissociative disorders, somatic symptom and related disorders, disruptive and impulse control disorders, and suicide prevention.
1- Comprehensive review of the diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders, neurodevelopmental disorders, trauma and stressor-related disorders, dissociative disorders, somatic symptom and related disorders, disruptive and impulse control disorders, and suicide prevention.
2- Provide an overview on how the above disorders present in the field of Christian ministry and in the church environment.
3- Equip students with enough knowledge to early identify and refer individuals who may be suffering from the above disorders. Early identification can help in providing early evaluation and management by qualified providers.
4- Provide a quick overview of the different treatment modalities to be able to assist patients in maintaining better adherence to treatment and provide support while treatment is implemented.
Will be provided during on site meeting
- Attend all on-site lectures.
- Have access to the internet and basic typing skills.
- There will be mid-Term and a final exam.
- Passing grade is 70%. Delay in turning in the exams may reduce the score by 25%.
- On site instructor will give an overview of schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders as well as neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Grading scale A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-80% ( only gets certificate of attendance)
|Test Schedule||Percentage of course grade|
| Test 1
- Attending the course’s lectures in the announced conference.
- Having daily access to the Internet and basic typing skills.
- Turning assignments after the dead line may reduce the score by 1 points per day with a max of seven days.
Distance Learning Lesson Schedule
|Week 1||Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders|
|Week 2||Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders|
|Week 3||Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders|
|Week 4||Neurodevelopmental disorders|
|Week 5||Neurodevelopmental disorders|
|Week 6||Neurodevelopmental disorders|
|Week 7||Neurodevelopmental disorders|
|Week 8||Trauma and stressor-related disorders|
|Week 9||Dissociative disorders|
|Week 10||Disruptive and impulse control|
|Week 11||Disruptive and impulse control|