Connection is a cornerstone in Parenting. When implemented peacefully and positively, not only does it result in joy, confidence, and a high sense of belonging among family members, but also helps to raise spiritually mature and responsible kids.
The Parenting Coaching course is an introductory course that aims to strengthen connections in our homes. The course equips students with both the tools and understanding needed to help parents explore and practice how to positively connect.
In a blend of on-site lectures and online webinars, students will be empowered to facilitate a six-week Parenting Coaching Program. They will be introduced to a set of experiential activities that allow parents to learn without the need for lectures or advice. During the online webinars, students will have an opportunity to practice their skills in facilitating the Parenting Coaching Program. By the end of the course, each student will be evaluated based on the level of knowledge, skills, and confidence they demonstrate during a personal assessment with the instructor.
- By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Understand and distinguish Christian Coaching as a powerful tool to help people grow and connect.
- Understand the basic principles of Positive Discipline along with corresponding Biblical teachings.
- Acquire the knowledge, tools, and skills needed to conduct a Group Coaching program utilizing Positive Discipline Experiential Activities.
Course Design and Grading
A = 90-100 B = 80-89
Below 80 will get a Certificate of Attendance
- Lecture 1: The Basics of Christian Coaching
- Lecture 2: The Principles of Positive Discipline
- Lecture 3: The Parenting Coaching Program (Part 1)
- Lecture 4: The Parenting Coaching Program (Part 2)
- Attend all the four onsite lectures. Late arrivals exceeding 10 minutes will result in deducting 5% of the grade.
- Attend all the three webinars on the announced day and time. Students must be able to dedicate 1 hour every month for the 3 months of the course.
- Attend a one-to-one personal assessment with the instructor based on the communicated schedule.
- All students are required to switch off their phones during all the on-site lectures.
- All students are expected to email their quiz on the communicated date. Late submissions will result in deducting 5% from the grade.
- In case of inability to attend a webinar or submit a quiz on time for any unforeseen reason, students are required to inform the instructor via email.
- All the webinar dates will be communicated to students during the on-site lectures.
- All personal assessment dates will be communicated to students via email at least one month in advance. Students will have the opportunity to pick their preferred date and time based on first come first serve.
- Teaching Parenting the Positive Discipline Way
IMPORTANT: PDF format is available online. Please wait for instructions to be given on-site before downloading this book.
- Positive Discipline in the Christian Home
Mary Hughes, MHR, and Mike Brock, LPC with Jane Nelsen EdD. Empowering People Books. ISBN: 978-0-9836052-3-2
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids, How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
Dr. Laura Markham. Penguin Group, New York. ISBN: 978-0-399-16028-8
- Parenting toward the Kingdom, Orthodox Christian Principles of Child Rearing
Philip Mamalakis, PHD. Ancient Faith Publishing. ISBN: 978-1-944967-02-4