Counseling 503: Introduction to Positive Psychology and Implications for Addiction
Instructor: Christine E. Agaibi, MA (ABD – PhD Candidate Counseling Psychology) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 216.338.7277 (Cell) Course Description: Course is designed to familiarize students (lay Christian helpers) with the fundamentals of Positive Psychology and the positive aspects of the human experience. Students will learn about the history of positive psychology and interventions and application to this psychological construct. Students will learn the research and application of fundamental topics such as happiness, well-being, resilience, post-traumatic growth, values, strengths. Students will explore how interventions of positive psychology can be applied to addictions and how we can better understand ourselves and the people we interact with through a positive psychology lens. Students will also learn about the impact and implications for increasing well-being. Course Objective:
- Learning what is positive psychology?
- Learning the fundamentals of Positive Psychology
- Understanding the role of emotions
- Understanding the fundamentals of well-being and happiness
- Understanding positive psychology interventions
- Examining how this could be applied to addiction