Adel H Andraws, MA, LMHCA
Course Description:This course provides an overview of the problem of addiction and how servants in the church can support individuals who suffer from this problem as well as their families.
Fisher, G.L. & Harrison, T.C. (2009) Substance Abuse: Information for School Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists, and Counselors (4th Edition). Pearson
Webber, Archimandrite Melletios (2003) “Steps of Transformation, an Orthodox Priest Explores the Twelve Steps”. Ancient Faith.
- Understanding the addiction disease, symptoms and different types.
- Recognizing the symptoms of addiction in adults and adolescents. Identifying at risk situations.
- Impact on different members of the family.
- Methods of treatment and rehabilitation, with a focus on spirituality.
- Educating families and children about addiction.
- Supporting families with addict child or adult, and how important it is to respect the privacy of these families.
- Resources for treatment and rehabilitation in your area.
|Week 1||Role of the Servants in Prevention and Treatment
Classification of Drugs
|Week 2||Gambling and Other Addictions||Chapter14|
|Week 3||Models of Addictions
Culturally and Ethnically Diverse Groups
|Week 4||Assessment and Diagnosis
|Week 5||Treatment||Chapter 8|
|Week 6||Relapse Prevention and Recovery||Chapter 9|
|Week 7||Twelve Steps and Other Types of Support Groups||Chapter 10|
|Week 8||Children and Families||Chapter 11|
|Week 9||Adult Children and Co-Dependency||Chapter 12|
“Resources Research” is due
|Week 11||Prevention||Chapter 15|
|Week 12||Confidentiality and Ethical Issues
Discussion of the “Resources Research” results
“Prevention Measures” research is due
We will have two required researches.
Resources research: This assignment is to familiarize you with the resources exist in your area for addiction treatment and rehabilitation.
Prevention Measures research: The purpose is to understand the role of the servant in addiction prevention and intervention.
Exams 60% (30% each)
Research 40% (20% each)